|
Sunday, November 12, 2006 Silently affecting others "When you walk into your house following a long day at school or work, do you bring selfishness, negativity, harshness, condemnation — or the meekness and gentleness of Christ?It was a stunning thought for me to realize that wherever I go, I bring something with me. I can bring Christ to people, or I can bring spiritual sickness, weakness, and sin. I can walk around, casting off splashes of glory or spraying people with showers of sin. What do I want my life to leave behind? I often hear Christians take a very self-absorbed view of sin; Because their forgiveness is assured in the finished work of Jesus Christ, they apply a faulty logic: I'm going to be forgiven, so what does it really matter? They never realize how their sin affects others and how it produces a more evil world. It is selfish to use God's grace as a reason to not grow in godliness. I can't think of a single sin that doesn't have severe repercussions for others. I cannot steal without denying someone something that belongs to them; I cannot abuse alcohol or substances without endangering someone by my intoxication; I cannot lust without dehumanizing someone; I cannot display arrogance without belittling or dominating someone. To say, "Oh, but God forgives me, so what does it really matter?" is to completely discount everyone but myself." - taken from Boundless I wonder what I have brought to the ppl around me... Reflecting upon it, I realise there's quite a few things I should have done differently. U know, sometimes it's a struggle.. internal struggle of the right way of presenting urself to others.. or rather the complexity of how to treat others.. hard to explain la.. it's like.. to find a balance in just being myself but yet not imposing/hurting others unintentionally. For example.. like when u have good news u want to share with others.. it might seem like u are boasting if gone overboard... or if u are super sad and depressed.. u might seem like a whiner or such a needy person.. kinda annoying.. it's super rare to find someone who truly understands u i guess.. misunderstanding is like such a common occurence.. that's why being honest is a good way of dealing with things.. but ultimately, the only thing i can do is to depend on God to help me become a better person... i am, without doubt, a sinner after all.. i guess being humble is a key thing too. One thing i've come to realise is that the closer the relationship is.. the harder it is.. more friction i guess? on the other hand.. if the person is not close to u, u dun really care what he/she thinks as much... Post a Comment |
what's new? in ChicagoJan 17 - Skiing Jan 19 - MLK holiday Jan 26 - CNY (no hols) Feb 16 - President's Day Jun 6 - CFA exam Horizon Retreat
Photo Links Chi TownCondo @ Chicago Convocation Home Sweet Home 08 Belgium Amsterdam Paris Krabi Trip Boston Trip webby links Bible Gateway leave a msg leh.. the past September 2004 Philippians 2v3 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves."music ![]() casting crowns - who am i yiruma - river flows in you blessed be your name blog links Ai Lee Photos |